Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Blog world tends to lend itself to life glamorized.

It is easy to make things seem just a little more perfect than they are.

We do photos that are edited, highlight positives and forget the negatives, and basically pretend.

Sometimes.

I certainly am not trying to say that all bloggers are posers but I read enough blogs to know....

We don't really want everyone to know the real side of things.

Being a poser has never been a real strong point of mine. In fact, most of what I feel can be read on my face at any given time. But, since my face isn't seen in blog world, posing is an option. If I really only wanted people to see the good side of my life, I could make it so.

But, that's not really me either.

The flip side to posing, which would be complete transparancy, is not all that cool either.

TMI is just that sometimes....too much information.

That's not really me either. I've learned my lesson the hard way on that one. Believe me.

It would be easy to pose for today's post if I really wanted to. Glamorous to say I've been married to the same man for 27 years. I could tell you it's been perfect.

That would be posing.

It is my 27th wedding anniversary and with all honesty I can say...

It has been good...oh, very good! But like every marriage out there, there is the bad and there is the ugly.

No sense in pretending. No posing here. Joe and I have had some really hard times. Some really ugly times. Times when I thought, we were not going to make it.

But we have.

And we will.

Let me assure you, 27 years does not happen without effort. We didn't hop in a sail boat and float our way here. Oh no. It's been more like tubing behind a motor boat. Hanging on for all it's worth. Laugh your head of funny. Good times. And occasionally, toppling off into water too deep only to realize you've just got to get it together and swim for the top, catch your breath and get back on.

 That is how you get to the number 27.

Joe is not perfect.I am far from perfect. But together we've ridden these waves of love and its been worth every bumpy ride we've ever been on. And just because it's bumpy, doesn't mean it's not good. It's been the good, the bad, and the ugly. Love and war. Life is what it has been. And I wouldn't change it.

 Believe me when I say, I counted it a privilege this morning to greet him with a kiss, glasses on, hair a mess, half asleep, and say...

Happy Anniversary, hon.

I love you with my whole heart.



"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." 
I Corinthians 13:4-7 NLT

That is the real the reason you make it to the number 27.

Doing love God's way.



7 comments:

Unknown said...

so sweet :) happy day, you two!!

Matt Leonard said...

Congrats! You two are role models for many :)

Matt

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing couple! God has used your honesty and life to show his love and deep compassion for his people. Congratulations on 27 hard fought years of marriage!
Tami

Shirelle Stadel said...

Well said Robin! Nothing is perfect. I too know all to well how that is. It is not the way God wants us to live! I have been the poser, not with purpose but inspite of myself. I have not been a Christian. Now looking back I wouldnt change it I have learned, grown and now become a child of God. No poseing here anymore! ♥ Shirelle

Miller Family said...

Congrats on 27 years...may God bless you with 27 more :)

{ j e a n n i e } said...

Ah, my brother married well. Congratulations! Much love, too.

Jeanie said...

I misspelled my own name. haha!