Saturday, March 13, 2010

WARNING!



"Maybe some people should come with warning labels" was the opening sentence in the recent show, "20/20". Hmm...that is an interesting thought, I thought, and an interesting blog. In fact, I even said straight away to my husband, "That may just be my very next blog." And in no time, thoughts and images began to form.

Since one must remember to pay attention to the plank in their own eye before looking at the speck of sawdust in another's eye (Matthew 7:3), I halted my overactive, judgemental mind, picturing what kind of warning labels I would place on certain people, and instead decided to picture what kind of warning labels others may see on me. Open as a book, here is (what I am sure some may say is  minimal) a list of my own warning labels.

Warning: Need 1 hour and a cup of coffee before conversing to keep hissing and staring minimal.

Warning: Eating cold food will cause much discomfort. All cold salads must be microwaved.

Warning: Fluctuating hormones promote irrational behavior.

Warning: 120 gloomy days in a row can be detrimental. Approach with caution.

Warning: Certain odors - lotions, perfumes, after shave, some flowers -  increase head pain.

Warning: No is an option.

Warning: Clutter and messes may cause face distortion and uncommon words to spew from mouth.

Warning: Early morning showers dampen spirits.

Warning: Dog pee in the house may cause hysteria.

Warning: Long voice mails will be deleted prior to completion.

Warning: Unnecessary time wasting creates body temperature increase.


Proverbs 27:19 says, "As water relects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man." Writing these warning labels for myself meant I had to look in the water, so to speak. I may be able to humor myself with some of these but others really aren't so pretty. Some, I can't even post.

 A friend of mine once told me that I have a lot of idiosyncrasies. Dictionary.com defines that word like this:

"A characteristic, habit, mannerism, or the like, that is peculiar to an individual."

I think you can just look at the word and form a definition - "In sync with your idiot side."

My heart is going to reflect the person I am. Idiosyncrasies and all. And if I was smart, I would be careful to self evaluate often. After all, change is always an option. We don't have to come with warning labels.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooo, Robin! Do you ever have those idiosyncrasies...but don't we all? I'm pretty sure I'm the clinical example of an OCD patient. That's a whole barrel of idiosyncrasies too. Don't feel bad, no one thinks it's wierd to microwaves your salads! ;)

Jeanie said...

I kinda do think it is weird to microwave your salads. That aside: turn this in to a mag article.