Friday, January 29, 2010

Time with Beth - Point 3

"I'm a resident alien, seeking direction, in deep want of wonder..."

Ps. 119:18 - Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.

One of the things Beth taught about this long Psalm of 176 verses is that the correct interpretation for the word law would be the word teachings. So whenever you go through reading this Psalm and you come across the word "law", it is not implying the grueling laws given by Moses to the Israelites. It refers to the teachings of His Word.

The verse above then would be interpreted "Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your teachings." And another very cool thing I learned was that the Hebrew word "wonderful" in this passage is the same Hebrew word used in Genesis 18:14 for the first time that says, "Is anything too hard for me?"  This Hebrew word according the the NT Lexical Aids, is "primarily used with God as the subject, denoting the fact that He does things which are beyond the bounds of human powers or expectations."

Could we all just use a little wonder in our lives? Absolutely! I loved this quote that I wrote down from Beth on this point:

"A deficit of wonder attracts profound disenchantment or depression."

I personally feel that this comes to play largely in a Christians life due to our expectation of God's help in difficut situations. We are all in deep want of a little wonder. But we mustn't forget that we have the real Wonder in a personal realtionship with Jesus and the gift of eternal life. And yet, while we pilgrimage through this life, it's good to know that God is a God of wonders to those of us who call on Him as our refuge.

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

And in want of wonder, we fill our lives with lusts of the flesh/false comforts