Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Turkey is Still in the Oven!

The time is now 6:20 pm. I started my day at 5:30 am. We still have not eaten.

It was all suppose to be really relaxed. I planned to eat at 5:00 pm so everyone could enjoy a laid back morning, snack through the afternoon, and long for the delight of all the smells they had gathered. But, around 3:30 pm, I noticed that it really wasn't smelling so much like Thanksgiving around the house. I peeked in on the turkey and much to my dismay, the oven was not working. Oh, it was somewhat hot which confused me at first. It was like it had a temperature problem. Maybe 150 degrees but not 325 degrees. I felt like this turkey in the picture looks. You have got to be kidding me!

Thank goodness I had a large roaster oven in the basement. I transferred the luke warm turkey into the roaster oven and inserted a thermometer so I could know when this thing would be done. After all, I had no idea how long the oven temperature had been plummeting. I felt relieved when the roaster oven felt warm to the touch on the outside and I started hearing sounds from the inside. But, after a little while, I still did not smell Thanksgiving...instead....I smelled that weird smell like a piece of Tupperware had gotten too close to the burner. And sure enough, I lifted the lid on the roaster and the thermometer was melting. Yes, melting. Now, not only did I have a turkey problem, I had a thermometer problem. This left only one solution. I had to depend on the little red dot, in the turkey's breast, to tell me when she was cooked.
And so I wait. Potatoes are cut and ready to boil. Green bean casserole is mixed and waiting. Crescent rolls are rolled up properly. Sweet potatoes are boiled, sliced and longing for butter and brown sugar. Cream, sour cream, and cream cheese are set out to create, you guessed it "creamy" mashed potatoes. The table is donned with a creative centerpiece and pretty dishes. The serving dishes are waiting. Stomachs are growling. And every five minutes I peek in the roaster hoping to see a little red button popped out of its holder.
I begin to sing, "Soon and very soon, we are going to eat some turkey. Soon and very soon, we are going to eat some turkey. Soon and very soon, we are going to eat some turkey. Hallelujah, Hallelujah, we're going to eat some turkey."
And low and behold, the button pops. The kitchen becomes a frenzied race to the finish and all my organizing pays off. Everyone seems to be pitching in to get the food to the table. Oh...I say to myself....this is how I get them to help. I make them so hungry that they actually run to the kitchen and say, "what can I do to help?" Finally, we all sit down and in 10 minutes or less, the day's working and waiting and working some more, ends.
Now for the best part of the day.....pumpkin pie. Thank goodness I don't have to wait on any popping red button before I slice, plate and devour.


Alicia said...

Bummer!! Well, at least you finally got to eat!!

Betty said...

That stinks, luckily you had the extra roaster and other options and eventually got to eat. You may want to try buying something like the FlavorWave Oven and keep it somewhere just in case that ever happens again lol.

Jeanie said...

Ohmygoodness. You are so resourceful and longsuffering. I'd have been cussing my head off. Haha. Yay, Robin! You did it. And the whole fam didn't even have to go out for Chinese like in "The Christmas Story,"
fa-ra-ra-ra-ra, ra-ra-ra-rah!