Saturday, October 25, 2008

Saturday...

Saturday at 5 am, I might add. I have been awake since 2:30 am and I am blaming it on hormones. The darned things!

The good news is, my interrupted sleep gave way to a now prepared Sunday School lesson for Sunday morning. Good thing, because my usual prep time, Saturday morning (sometime after 8), will undoubtedly become time for my night time rest that I missed out on.

I thought it would be fun to share my Sunday School lesson outline. I am teaching a class on spiritual disciplines. So far we have covered Bible intake, Bible study, and Bible memorization. Sunday's class is on prayer. You will have to fill in the body of this outline with your own thoughts and discussion. It is too early to type a whole discourse. :)

1. If Jesus needed to pray, than there is nothing else to say. (Luke 5:16; Col. 4:2; 1 Thes. 5:17)
  • prayer must be a priority at all times not just in crisis
  • prayer is a discipline

2. Use your sword - you won't get bored. (John 4:1-11; Eph. 6:17; 2 Cor. 10 3-5)

  • praying the word is our weapon to demolish strongholds
  • praying the word gives depth to our prayers
  • praying the word is praying God's will

3. Implementing praise keeps self-focusing away. ( 1 Timothy 2:1-8;Ps. 101:1; Ps. 63:4)

  • Lifting God up keeps us down
  • He inhabits the praises of his people

Nothing too profound but delighting in God's ability to help me even at 3 am.

One more thing....this has nothing to do with anything but I just have to say, I thought I was going to kill people in WalMart today. ( Thank goodness God really does know my heart. Otherwise, my SS lesson would be a little in vain. Sigh!) It is the place of all lolly-gagers (I don't know how in the world to spell that. Just say it phonetically and you will get the jest.). Meanderers, as Joe puts it. I have a list. I am on a mission. I do not need to waste time in WalMart. It is not social hour. Please help me!

I have decided to follow Target;

I have decided to follow Target;

I have decided to follow Target;

No turning back. No turning back.

Though I may wander, still I will follow;

Though I may wander, still I will follow;

Though I may wander; still I will follow;

No turning back. No turning back.

Walmart behind me, Target before me;

Walmart behind me, Target before me;

Walmart behind me, Target before me;

No turning back. No turning back.

Though none go with me, still I will follow;

Though none go with me, still I will follow;

Though none go with me, still I will follow;

No turning back. No turning back.

Unless I need fabric, I'll be at Target;

Unless I need fabric, I'll be at Target;

Unless I need fabric, I'll be at Target;

No turning back. No turning back.

Will you decide now, to follow me to Target;

Will you decide now, to follow me to Target;

Will you decide now, to follow me to Target;

Say with me... No turning back. No turning back.

Happy Saturday, everyone! I'll see you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Jeanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeanie said...

Hahhahhheeehehehhehehhaha! Walmart-yes. Dave loves the meandering. Dave IS the meanderer. But I? I love Target! Wide, clean aisles, well-marked merch. Good times!

Cool outline! Mark Buchanan, in "Your God is too Safe", called the disciplines the "holy habits." In the last year or so, I have been learning how they all flow together, finally. It finally dawned on me that time IN the Word was time WITH the (living) Word. And that being in the Word is meal-time for me (my daily bread)-prayer via conversation with God the whole time.

Having grown up in a praying family, I always felt condemned that I could not "tarry an hour," even though talking to God is ALWAYS happening. Then God released me when I heard that Smith Wigglesworth said, "I don't pray long, I just don't go long without praying." Without ceasing can truly happen!

I am trying to figure out how to become so relational in my God-walk that I have NEVER have to put time in the Word, or study or prayer or any of that on a to-do list again!?! Longing for it to be as natural as rain....

Anonymous said...

I am the meanderer!!But you may also find me at Target! Sorry! Love Ya Merla