Saturday, May 3, 2008

From the archives

(I found this in a pile of papers I was sorting through and decided it would be an easy post, since I have been so slack in my blogging these days. I think I wrote this a couple of years ago. Hope to be back to some new blogs soon. )



Some things in life are so complicated - bad haircuts, 52 unmatched socks (I just counted today), dogs, and windshield wipers that leave a streak at eye level. Complications like these just leave me frustrated. After all, what is a woman to do with a bad haircut? And where do all the matches go for those socks? If only I could wave a magic wand.....hmmm.
Many things, wand in hand or not, don't magically disappear. Somedays, life just stinks in a normal kind of way. "Rise above the occasion" and "make lemonade out of lemons, dear" become our middle names. We face each day knowing complications may just come. We laugh at them, cry sometimes, and do life anyway.
Occasionally, simpler ways to make big changes in life can be found. That's what I discovered when I read 1 Peter 3:10: "For whoever would love life and see good days (that got my attention), must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech. He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it. OK, then! If I want to see good days and love life I MUST do these things:
1. Keep my tongue from evil and my lips from deceitful speech.
2. Turn from evil and do good.
3. Seek peace and pursue it.
Unlike the complications of life that are just out of my control, this formula, for seeing good days and loving life, is up to me. Can I make this choice today to follow God's command? Will I remind myself of the evil of my tongue and change my ways? Yes, Lord! Give me courage!
Each sweep of my windshield wiper may leave an unclear view of the road ahead, but this promise, from God's Word is crystal clear. See good days. Love life. With God, all things are possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SEE??!? This is awesome - you could publish a bookful of these, couldn't you??