Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Joe J. Shoemaker

Dad
(Not sure how old. Guessing 14?)


After living away from home for more than 25 years now, you would think I would have figured out how to get birthday cards, to the important people in my life, in a timely manner. But I haven't. It never fails, one or two days before their birthdays, I realize, once again, that I forgot to put a card in the mail.

Thank goodness for blogs! Not only is this a means to share fun things going on in my life with my family away, it now affords me the ability to be timely in my birthday wishes to them as well. All without a postage stamp!

Today is my dad's 71st birthday. I am pleased to honor him. He has been a steady rock in my life since I can remember. He would give me his last dollar, even if it meant he had to suffer. He encourages me when I am down and from years of sales experience, gives me good advice in my business (Like, half a loaf is better than none. True.). He cherishes my children and would give them his last dollar too. He has always seemed strong to me, even when I knew things were hard. Given 4 daughters and 0 sons, I never once felt like he felt cheated. He treats his girls like we are princesses. He is creative and works hard and sleeps little (It runs in the genes!). He is an overcomer. And....he doesn't look like he is 71! (Another trait that runs in the genes.).

Graduation picture 1957

I celebrate you today, dad from a distance. You may be miles away physically but you are always close in my heart. Hardly a day goes by that I do not think of you. I love you bunches and even more.


Dad with my Gram
(who by the way, in this picture is 90 and still has black hair.)



Playin' with the accordian.


Happy, happy birthday, Dad!




No comments: