Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Inventions






I'm pretty sure blogging is the coolest invention ever. I love that I can share really unimportant events with unknown readers. It is like an open journal where you jot things down that otherwise would not be journaled privately. It's great fun and I am enjoying myself immensely.

Today I thought it would be fun to cover the topic of inventions only because Corbin, Joe and I spent about 5 hours last night inventing. It is that time of the year again, where students invest umpteen amount of time into a "project" that is to bring about all kinds of learning. In our house the only real learning that goes on when doing these projects is how to still be kind and loving toward one another when the stress is as high as the piles of unfolded laundry. I'd have to say, we all earned A+'s last night. Overall, things went quite smooth.


Now to the invention -

Corbin decided that he should invent what he termed the Comfy Cushion. Needless to say, when you spend 7 hours of your day sitting in a hard desk, the need for comfy anything would excite you. He drew up the plans for his Comfy Cushion and Joe and I executed his plans. Is that legal in school projects? Too late now if it isn't. We may receive a visit from the School Project Police but I'm always up for good discussion and opinion giving. Anyway.....the Comfy Cushion was made from 1 inch foam covered with fabric. It has an attached pocket in the back to carry a notebook or two and an attached water bottle holder. When class is over and you are ready to move on, the cushion folds in half, velcro's together and carries like a backpack. The user should never again have a sore behind, lose his papers or be thirsty. We covered it all. Pretty darn inventive for a 14 year old, if I do say so myself. We'll see what the judges have to say.

Since I had my mind on inventions I decided to list some of my favorites. If you want, why don't you list some of your's when you leave a comment. Maybe later I will compile everyone's ideas. Here goes (in no particular order):

  • Laptop computers (I just love mine)
  • hairspray
  • cell phones
  • under-the-counter cd/radio players
  • quick heating, fat curling irons
  • CO Bigelow Lip Shine (Menthal flavored; it's fabulous)
  • Feminie products ( I know, I probably shouldn't mention this but what if there wasn't?)
  • Automatic car starters (Can't wait till I have one)
  • Lattes (although I have had no caffeine for 6 weeks now. Oh, how I miss it!)
  • Dansko's
  • search engines like Google (how would we find anything without them?)
  • email
  • digital cameras (the best! no more drawers full of a thousand rolls of film to develop)
  • catsup, mustard and pickles!(I'm not sure these are an invention but I like them)
  • Lots of different, and great I might add, versions of the Bible
  • Blogs, of course. How could I not mention that!

Ok...I think that is the most lame list ever. I thought it would be so easy to come up with a gazzilion. Oh, well. Leave me yours so I can see what you wouldn't want to live without.

By the way...after calculating costs and labor for Corbin's Comfy Cushion were thinking $65.00. Any takers?

Love to you all,

Robin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is an AWESOME invention! I hope he wins - or maybe headlines the next Oprah-salutes-new-inventor-millionaires guy. It could happen. Remember the little girls who were decorating their Crocs with little buttons and beads? YIKES!

Inventions I love...hmmm, I will have to ponder, but meanwhile - Google forever! On the feminine product, two words: Pearl Tampons.